Thursday 10 January 2013

Awesome!... Or, as they say, whence I am bound, "Ossum!"

Oh Shenandoah,
I love your daughter,
Away, you rolling river.
For her I'd cross,
The raging waters,
Away, I'm bound away,
'Cross the wide Missouri.
For ten long years, 
I courted Sally,  
A-way, you rolling river
She broke my heart, 
Here in this valley,
A-way, we're bound away, 
'Cross the wide Missouri.
 Tom Waits, with Keith Richards, and an un-named male-voice choir, recorded "Shenandoah", for a new muliti-artist album, titled 'Son of Rogues Gallery'.


I'd love to post it here, but the album is not out until 19th february. So the best I can do, is include a link to the player on NPR.

I know some, many, most, perhaps, of my readers just can't see any beauty in Tom's gravelly voice, but I urge you to give it a chance. 
Click on the link.

Sigh...
No, I know it's not a patch on your 'Best of Abba' album.... 
Or your 'Easy Listening Elevator Music' album.

I hear you all spluttering in denial "But I don't have an Abba album!'.

Humph!


11 comments:

  1. Don't wish to offend but I think Tom and Keith are two phonies. I actually like Tom's music but no matter how hard he tries he's no Bukowski.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A bit morbid to be picking out your funeral / wake music ....

    ~ I'm assuming free Black Sheep Ale for all.
    ~ Cremation over burial.
    ~ Will you be writing your own obit?

    Noting ...

    *Sigh*
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good stuff. Have earmarked that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phew. I was beginning to think I was the only one marching in step.

      Delete
  4. I love Tom Waites...always have since I first heard him way back when....

    I look forward to hearing this new track. It's a beautiful, haunting song. One of my favourite movies from years past is "Shenandoah", too...starring James Stewart. It's such a nice movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watch Shenandoah just about once a year ever since I was just a little boy. i particularly like the prayer Stewart says at the dinner table at the start of the movie:
      "Lord, we cleared this land. We plowed it, sowed it, and harvested it. We cooked the harvest. It wouldn't be here and we wouldn't be eating it if we hadn't done it all ourselves. We worked dog-bone hard for every crumb and morsel, but we thank you Lord just the same for the food we're about to eat, amen."

      Delete
  5. I have, in fact, multiple Abba albums.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Something good...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pv8IM_-Bam0

    ReplyDelete


Spam will be reported and swiftly deleted. I will put a curse upon you if you post spam links.